Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Practice, Practice, Practice!

I had some chocolate buttercream left over from the big baking day. It was the best thickness I've gotten so far in my buttercream, so I thought I'd use it to practice my decorating techniques...and try out some new tips I got.

Here are the results.

Remember my roses? If you can call them that?

Well, these turned out way better! Ok, certainly not the prettiest things ever, but at least you can tell THESE are flowers. Unlike every one of my other efforts.

Wilton tip #104


I also have been envious of all the cupcakes with grass on them...so I bought the tip. I made some dirty, dirty looking grass. One day I'll do it for reals. On cupcakes.

Wilton tip #233


I saw this tip and had no idea what it would possibly do. I tried and tried, but couldn't come up with anything that looked like decorating. So I had to do a google search for the tip and find out what the heck it was supposed to be.

Apparently, a daisy! These suckers were actually kinda tricky.

Wilton tip # 136


And then, my favorite favorite favorite. LEAVES! I thought I'd have a hell of a time with this, but actually, my first one to come out was beautiful. Some weren't very pretty...but for the most part, a good time was had by all. And by all, I mean me and my personalities.

I (we) might now be obsessed with making icing leaves.

Wilton tip #70



I have been playing with fondant a little bit, trying to make animals and bugs and flowers...and so far? Well, it's a little bit sad. But I'm working on it. And I'll have pictures of that soon, too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The leaves are beautiful, dead, but beautiful!

The grass tip, with that brown, it could double for hair! If ever you did cuppies that were faces or something.

BetteJo said...

I don't know why this is so interesting to me, since I have no desire to do that stuff myself. But I like watching your progress, and maybe I just wanna eat that stuff!
So thanks for sharing! Everything looks so good!

Anonymous said...

Michele - HA! Dead is ok. Maybe I can use them for a goth cake or something. ;) Good idea with the hair, too! Will have to play with that!!

Bettejo - Hehe! Thanks! Well, I certainly have enough to fill your belly. Get over here and get some!! :)

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Have you tried royal icing yet? It's really stiff. My mom used it to decorate all her wedding cakes.

Anonymous said...

Howtoeatacupcake - No, but I'll have to find that one! It's gotta be pretty sweet to be my new found love of 'french buttercream' though! ;)