Saturday, September 15, 2007

Mint Oreo w/ Mint French Buttercream

I think I've perfected it. I remade the recipe again today with a few tweaks...and it was great. I took it to a party this afternoon and it was a big hit with everyone.

I'm very excited about this one, people. You have to give it a try in your own kitchen! Got kids? They'll LOVE it.




Mint Oreo Cupcakes

1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp mint extract (spearmint...not peppermint!)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 2/3 cups sugar
3 large egg whites, room temperature
About 7 mint double-stuffed Oreos, crushed into small pieces
Extra to decorate with (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In large bowl cream together butter, milk, mint extract and vanilla. (The directions originally said '3-5 minutes or until fluffy'...but I could never get the butter to mix with milk at all...isn't that like saying 'mix oil and water until combined'? So I just stirred it up a bit. Anyway.)

In separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.

Add dry ingredients to butter mixture. Mix until integrated. Stir in the sugar. With an electric mixer on low speed, beat for 30 seconds. Turn the mixer up to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes. Add egg whites. Beat for 2 minutes. Stir in the crushed cookies.

Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full. Bake for 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan.


Mint French Buttercream

2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
3 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp mint extract (spearmint, not peppermint!)
1/2 tsp butter flavor
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
Green food coloring gel

Mix cream & flour well. Heat in microwave 45 seconds. Set aside to cool.

In large bowl, mix butter, shortening, vanilla, mint extract, and butter flavor. Using mixer, beat on low. Add confectioners sugar in 4 parts, mixing well after each addition. Beat on medium until fluffy, about 5 minutes.

Add cream mixture and beat for about 10 minutes. When you first add the cream mixture, it will look soupy and curdly (is that a word?). Don't worry - it will fluff up nicely. Add green food coloring until you reach desired color.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

*drool* My hubs and daughter LOVE mint chip ice cream. They look luscious! I'm not sure I should make them tho; they'll leave me for a new wife and mom if they are all they say you are!! J/K LOL

BetteJo said...

Nice that you share your recipes!

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Chase, I think I love you. For real. These cupcakes look AMAZING.

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I thought French Buttercream had egg yolks in it, then I Googled it and a million different recipes are called "French Buttercream." Hmf... so confusing! Anyway, your cupcakes look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Cindi - Then you'd really love these! You SHOULD try them. They'd never leave the kitchen again. :)

Bettejo - Have you tried any yet?? ;)

Chicky - COME OVER! Help me eat these suckers! LOL

Howtoeatacupcake - Ya know, I'd never even HEARD of french buttercream. I just did a google search for "buttercream too sweet" to see what I could find...and found this awesome recipe. I'm in LOVE.

Anonymous said...

hi
nice of u 2 share ur recipes sweety..
i dont like the taste of buttercream alot..is there any other recipes for frosting..